In order to save money and be a little healthier, I’ve decided to start baking snacks for us. Muffins, breakfast bars, cookies, that sort of thing. My most recent kitchen attempt was fruit oatmeal cookie bars. I made them yesterday!
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
* 1 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
* 1 1/2 cups any flavor fruit jam
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Combine the butter, brown sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and rolled oats. Press 2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the preserves over the top and sprinkle with the remaining crumb mixture, gently pressing crumbs into jam.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.
It was pretty easy to whip together, but I questioned my work before putting it in the oven. It just didn’t look right, like the mixture wasn’t very moist or anything. But it all worked out for the best!
So how did it taste? …
Well..pretty good, if I do say so myself! But I did use homemade jam that his step-mom gave us and truth be told…I’m not really a fan of that jam. It’s got a funky after taste that kind of carried over to the fruit oatmeal cookie bars. I guess I’m just not used to homemade jams! I’m sure next time around it will taste much better if I use some jam that I don’t think has a funky after taste ;0)
So, yeah. I’ll be switching up the jam I use but aside from that I totally recommend making these. They were quick, easy, and they’ll totally last several days for a yummy snack.