So I seem to have develop some sort of nasty cough and cold over the past few days, which is extremely unfortunate. I’ve grown tired of peeing myself every time I cough, and waking myself up from choking on phlegm and other nasty cold related things.
My energy level has been nearly non-existent too, which sucks for poor N who (while suffering from a little bit of the snotties) is his perfect, energetic self. It’s also been raining heavily for the past two days. I don’t know about you, but rain makes me want to hide under the covers, eat grilled cheese and tomato soup, and watch movies all afternoon. Things that a toddler can only do for so long before becoming totally restless.
N has been somewhat content to build block towers, if I sit on the ground and help him. Which is normally a difficult task, but even more so what with the pain I am in (thanks pregnancy and damp weather). There are some times when I just can’t get on the floor with him, and it’s super depressing because he doesn’t yet understand why. I try to make it up to him by reading books with him until my throat grows hoarse, but I don’t think it’s enough.
Hopefully the sickies will leave me very soon, but I’m not holding my breath. My body seems to hang on to sickness for weeks longer than usual when pregnant, which is totally lame. I am doing my best to feed this cold, but with all the feeding I’ve been doing…I’m welding absolutely no results. Also, I’m now totally out of bagels which depresses me because that’s all I want right now. Bagels with cream cheese, salmon cream cheese…to be exact.
Anyway…complaints of my health and the weather aside, things are pretty good right now. My hormones seem to be tapering off (aka: I’m not freaking out over tiny things, or crying at the drop of the hat. Now I only freak out and cry over sorta big things, so it’s almost like I’m “back to normal”, since I normally freak out and cry over everything anyway). I can’t believe week twenty-three of pregnancy is nearly up…where did the time go? It’s almost funny….it feels like the days are dripping by painfully slow but then I turn around and wonder where the hell the week went.
I have some tasks that I really want to get started on before the baby arrives. It’s a good thing I still have plenty of time, but I need to start planning and doing things now in order to finish by October. Obviously, the baby’s room is #1, but I also would like to finish the “man cave” and turn the spare bedroom into a, well….spare bedroom. Oh, and move all of Nolan’s toys from “the man cave” into the spare bedroom and have it as a play room/guest cashing zone. Right now it’s just housing a bunch of crap I haven’t organized. So, without further ado…here is my to-do list over the next little while! The more “pressing” things are first, followed by stuff I need to do by October.
- Sand down and paint N’s new dresser, then move it up to his bedroom and put the “baby dresser” in the baby’s room (to be painted later).
- Save up our pennies and purchase a new couch. (UGH UGH UGH – Matt refuses to buy second hand couches or beds, so unless family or friends is getting rid of their couches, we’ll have to buy a new one). The futon is going to go in the play room/spare room as our “guest bed”, and the new couch will go upstairs and the white one will go in the rec room (also known as the “man cave”) with a new couch cover (that will hopefully fit it better). Or, who knows…maybe we’ll keep the white couch up here and put the new couch in the basement. I guess whatever fits better will go!
- Save up our pennies and purchase another TV for the rec room. (MORE UGHING – I hate spending money.). It doesn’t have to be a fancy one, and Walmart generally has some nice flat screens for reasonable prices.
- I saw some cool second hand, vintage piece of furniture at Value Village for 10 bucks that could totally be turned into a TV stand/DVD and video game storage unit…if it’s still there, I’ll be buying it tonight and painting it a bright colour (red, maybe). Then it will go in the rec room to await a TV. Matt and I are also going to go on a yard sale hunt and see what we can dig up for the rec room, spare room/play room, and the baby’s room.
- Paint the baby’s dresser (and any other second hand pieces of furniture we find).
- Purchase the baby’s bedding. I’ve chosen this bedding set for his bedroom, but I am keeping my eyes peeled for wondrous second hand finds. I’ve seen so many mama’s do this, and find awesome things! But I must not have the “thrifting talent” because every time I go, I can’t find a thing! I want to go with an owl/vintage theme for baby #2, and have a bunch of different pieces coming together. If I can’t find anything second hand by the end of August, I will be ordering the bedding set from Baby Supermall (although Matt cringes at the price, and so do I).
- Purchase a closet organizer (my sister has one, totally awesome for storing babies clothes etc. I know they accumulate so many sleepers, it’s hard to fit them all in a tiny dresser!) & start organizing/purchasing clothes.
- Purchase a double stroller and a new infant car seat.
So, yeah, that’s basically the super big things on my list. I will be a very busy girl until October! I can’t wait for our next trip down south, I am going to visit my favourite second hand baby stuff store and buy a garbage bag full of baby sleepers and onesies. I love this store so much, and I wish it was up North where I am! That’s where I got most of Nolan’s clothes, and found his crib bedding. There isn’t a store like it in town! I am determined to be overly prepared for this baby. Matt actually laughs at me, but honestly? I felt so unprepared for Nolan. If it weren’t for my friends and family, I don’t know what I would have done! Now I know better though. I know what we need and what we don’t need. I’m almost a pro 😉
I do feel very overwhelmed when I look at that list…but in an excited, OMG I CAN’T WAIT way. I’m deeply excited to do up the baby’s room, and to find awesome second hand furniture that we can paint and make ours. I’m going to have N help as much as possible with the whole process, so that he can get excited for his little brother too.